Workers are at risk of heat stress when unloading supplies, working in kitchens or during service delivery.
Ways to control hazards
- Wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen when unloading outside.
- Install a roof over the delivery and unloading area to keep heat off workers.
- Take frequent breaks away from a hot kitchen.
- Wear cool clothing in the kitchen.
- Take regular breaks in a cool area with a glass of water.
- Maintain a comfortable temperature in the kitchen using ventilation, extraction or air conditioning.
- Install a serving counter between the kitchen and dining area to reduce the need for people to enter the kitchen.
- Redesign the kitchen so work areas are away from heat sources.
- Ensure workers are educated about the risks of heat stress.
Read more about heat stress.