What are personal security measures?
Personal security measures include staff training, devices, professional services and practical changes that help to provide a secure and safe workplace for employees.
- Alarm systems, including duress buttons and personal alarms
- Barriers restricting customer access to the cash register
- Bullet proof glass
- Detection devices and restricted access for unauthorised people
- Rising screens (controlled by the point of sale operator)
- Security mirrors
- Professional cash collection service
- Security patrol services
- Visual deterrents (eg. monitored surveillance cameras)
- Security conscious workplace layout
- Measures to reduce customer visibility of the cash drawer (e.g. raised floor and wide counters)
- Measures to maximise exposure of the point of sale operator (e.g. lowered shelf heights and uninterrupted views through windows)
- Strong lighting of entrance and public areas
- Secure location with one-way lock and emergency exit
- Secure, well lit parking areas
- Window, door and roof security measures
- Cash management
- Cash transfer and storage
- Opening and closing times
For more information, read the Guide to Personal Security in the Retail Industry (PDF, 434 kB).